Later this month we head to the beach…
This is the first time we have ever drove to the beach and we will need to bring our own beach chairs. I don’t want to spend a fortune (under $50/chair and $20- $30 per chair is the goal). We also will have the kids and lots of other beach stuff so I need them to be family friendly…lightweight but durable is what we are going for.
So after much searching on the internet and in stores here is what I have learned, which two I finally narrowed it down to and which ones I actually chose. I will update this post with a more thorough review after our trip so you know how they worked out.
What I learned.
The main thing that I learned is that beach chairs come in two ways… cheap and expensive… there really isn’t a middle ground.
Usually when I purchase things my rule is go in the middle on price and features. In this case with beach chairs I went the more expensive route.
The two I finally narrowed it down to was Tommy Bahama and Nautica.
Both the reviews that I read stated that the chairs were easy to get out of (especially when you have to get up frequently to run after kids). By all means these are not the most expensive chairs on the market, but the closest to the “middle ground” in price and features that I could find.
- Only weighs 7 lbs
- Insulated storage and cargo pouches on back
- Lays Flat (5 Positions total)
- Rubber carry handle
- Folding towel bar, Weight Limit 300Lbs (136.1kg)
- Lightweight Rust Proof Aluminum Frame
- Backpack straps
What I really don’t like about this chair:
- My only complaint and honestly it may keep the chair working better in the long fun is that the bar goes across the front of the seat which could become uncomfortable… but maybe not. with 4.5 stars on Amazon people don’t seem to mind.
What I really liked about this chair:
- 4.5 Star rating on Amazon.com
- I loved the backpack straps and the pouches on the back including the insulted pouch.
- The arms of the chair, while plastic seem to be well made and product reviews seem to back that up.
- It was a pound lighter than the Nautica which is nice but not a deal breaker.
- I really liked the color pattern as well.
- Lightweight aluminum frame(approx 8 pounds)
- Fabric seat
- 5 Position
- Lays Flat
- Double Drink Caddy
- Insulated side pouch
What I don’t like about this chair:
- Not a backpack style so all weight on my shoulder and can slip off
- The cooler gets “smooshed” when the chair folds up
What I really liked about this chair…
- Double Cup Holders
- I really liked this pattern better than any I saw
- The seat bar of the chair does not wrap around the front.
The final debate for me was price. I was able to find the Nautica at Sam’s Club for $30 along with a matching umbrella for $20 more. And since I am not sure if a beach vacation will be happening for us every year, I decided not to make as large of an investment in chairs and an umbrella.
Truthfully, had it not been for such a price difference I would have taken the Tommy Bahama chair (which also has match umbrellas available) and if we make frequent trips to the beach in the future I can see investing in a good backpack chair like the Tommy Bahama.
What are your fav beach chairs? Why?
Is there anything you don’t like about them?
Where did you get them from?
And have they stood the test of time?
Get Life Solutions in Your Inbox